IT Governance Management in a medium-sized company is a serious issue.
Each company has its own organization and its specificity, which must be handled by the management software of the IT Department.
CMDBuild allows you to adapt the software to the way you work, instead of the other way around.
And you can do this by not the source code, which saves you from any possible error and to losing the possibility if upgrading to later versions.
Splitting the “engine” from the "business logic", collecting the specificities of your entities and processes within a configurable data model and user interface XML descriptors corresponding to your processes and your reports.
CMDBuild’s flexibility has always been the main design criteria, allowing the system administrator to find the optimal application for his operational needs.
A system based on configurability has several benefits:
- it’s possible to adapt it to your organization and to your work standards (as the ITIL motto says: “Adopt and adapt”)
- it’s possible to adapt the system step by step, with a low impact on organization
- it’s easy to adapt to new organizational or technological activities
- a great independence of the user
- same core code but every instance is customized
CMDBuild was developed by applying the most advanced design criteria and the best available technologies:
- components and services organization, also cooperating with external applications via WebServices (SOA-Service Oriented Architecture)
- splitting of the presentation layers, business logic and persistence (Multi-Tier architecture)
- Ajax technology for the desktop user interface that provides intuitive use, ergonomics interaction and good system response speed
- server implementation in Java, which is indipendent from the platform and object-oriented, extensively used by large organizations for the development of enterprise web applications.
In the design of CMDBuild we decided to:
- follow the latest technological trends,
- reuse the best design patterns,
- adhere to regulatory and “de facto” standards available.
CMDBuild is released under the open source AGPL (Affero GPL) license:
Anyone can download it, install it and freely use it .
CMDBuild allows you to create a complete and low cost IT Asset Management system.
An open source solution allows you to:
- Avoid high costs for the license
- Have the source code to limit the dependence from the service provider
- Guarantee more freedom of use, in more locations and according to more types of demand.
- Re-use the best open source software components
- Re-use other users developed on request and shared features
- Collaborate to an users community where the experiences are shared in terms of organization and implementation (data model, processes, ect.)
An open source solution is not free, neither in terms of external services or in terms of internal implementation costs. Nevertheless, several influential sources acknowledge that the requested total cost is lower (TCO, Total Cost Ownership)
An open source product is not necessarily a good product, but nowadays due to the market evolution, there are several open source solutions which are technologically more advanced and better supported than the analog proprietary applications.
The integrated or interoperable open source components in CMDBuild are evaluated as the most complete, widespread and developed to date.
|Logo conditions of use|
Cmdbuild is a native multilanguage application.
There are two levels of localizations available:
- localization of interface elements: standard menu, buttons, page titles and TAB labels, header and footer of the application, administration interface, etc.
- full application localization: menus, names of the classes and attributes, domains names and descriptions, lookup lists, etc.
Since CMDBuild is an environment that has to be configured through the available features and comes without a data model, workflows and default reports, the standard localization is just the first one.
The first level localization:
- is made possible thanks to the users of the application, which can submit their localization through a form on CMDBuild’s website
- includes the following languages: English, Italian, Spanish, French, German, Russian, Chinese, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, Serbian, Dutch, Vietnamese, Croatian, Persian, Hungarian
- is based on json files managed by Tecnoteca
Once a user has configured his CMDBuild instance, the localization of second level becomes available in order to have the entire application in the desired languages.
The location of the second level:
- is performed directly from within the application by using the appropriate functions of the Administration module
- can be exported/re-imported in CSV format to work externally from the application or to make it available to other users
- is already available in English and Italian languages for those who adopt already configured instances of CMDBuild such as CMDBuild READY2USE and openMAINT.
CMDBuild is exclusively based on open source technologies, and in particular on open source solutions that have been accurately selected for technological features and validity.
Integrated software components or interoperable with CMDBuild are the following:
- database PostgreSQL, the most advanced and reliable open source database (also includes object oriented features, heavily used in database modeling)
- DMS Alfresco for document management
- "spatial" extension PostGIS geometry storage of the managed objects in the CMDB
- Tomcat servlet container to run the Java server code
- Shark workflow engine with TWE editor TWS
- reporting engine JasperReports with IReport editor
- Quartz scheduler system
- OpenLayers GeoServer and GIS features
- BIM functionality BIMServer
- Sencha Ext JS library for the desktop client interface based on Ajax technology
- Liferay Portal as suggested solution for the publication of simplified web interfaces based on GUI Framework
- OCS Inventory as suggested solution for the automatic inventory of assets, interfaced with CMDBuild via a special connector
- OpenLDAP for accessing external authentication systems
ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) is a model consisting of guidelines and best practices for IT services management, successfully adopted in many contexts and described in appropriate publications.
Developed for ICT by the British Government at the end of the 80 's it has now spread throughout the world as a "de facto standard", non-proprietary, and inspiring the recent ISO/IEC 20000 (previously BS 15000).
Among the main advantages of ITIL, which guarantees better quality and lower costs, we can include:
- facility in adoption thanks to "adopt and adapt" (the method must be adapted to individual situations and gradually activated and targeted),
- process oriented approach: strategy, design, transition (Change Management, Configuration Management, etc), operational management (Incident Management, Request Fulfillment, Problem Management, Event Management, etc), continuous improvement,
- strong specialization and complete computer services orientation,
- systemic and integrated vision of the IT environment,
- proactive attitude towards service management.
CMDBuild is inspired by the best practice ITIL, to which is fully "compliant":
- CMDB is structured in entities and correlations,
- full and continuous tracking of all changes to the data (historization),
- editor and workflow engine for implementation of all processes of interest,
- possibility of complete personalization of the data model and processes (as suggested by the slogan "Adopt and Adapt"chosen by ITIL),
- control mechanisms guaranteed SLAs for users (automatic notifications via email, reports, dashboards),
- connectors and interoperability mechanisms to interact with other IT systems (Federated CMDB).